Wednesday, November 5, 2008

My last destination! (Siberian Tundra)







Hey.


This morning I arrived at the Siberian Tundra. The weather here is okay but slightly windy. Today I have been learning more and more stuff about this environment. I have been discovering many new things and I am having a great time.


The Siberian Tundra is found in the Northeastern part of Russia. In the Tundra, Winters are normally long and summers short. During the Winter temperatures are mainly below freezing and ground would be covered with snow and ice.


The Tundra is located around about 1,000 to 4,000 feet above sea level. In the Tundra there is two levels of soil. The first layer is called the active layer because it freezes. It is 10 inches to 3 feet deep. The second layer is called the permafrost due to it freezing throughout the winter and summer. The permafrost in the Tundra can be as deep as 1,968 feet.

In the Tundra the climate in Winter is usually cold. The temperature can reach 40 degrees fahrenheit. The Summer is cool with temperatures of 37 - 54 degrees fahrenheit.

I have had such a great time visiting all of these places. I have had a great experience and hope to do it again sometime very soon.

Last destination completed :)

No comments: